Friday, June 25, 2010

Listen to The-Dream Sound a Whole Lot Like Prince


I've never been a big fan of The-Dream's crooning, auto-tuned style of R&B. It's just not my thing. At all. But apparently the ATL singer/producer has a more-than-mild Prince obsession -- we're talking solid, early 80s Prince -- This is awesome. This is definitely my thing.

I first heard The-Dream cop the Purple One's sound back in 2007 with his "Fast Car" single and now he's done it again with "Yamaha."

If the allusions of "Fast Car" were somehow veiled (though I'm unsure how they could be, everyone's heard "Little Red Corvette" and "When Doves Cry," right?), "Yamaha" is spilling over with Prince-isms. There's the twinkling synths, spastic drum machines, and, of course, oozy sexuality. It's a near perfect throwback to The Kid.

Right-Click + Save Link As:

Yamaha - The-Dream

Fast Car - The-Dream

No comments: