Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Minks Sound a Lot Like the Cure (A Good Thing)


Listening to the new-ish deluxe edition of Disintegration, I caught myself wondering why more indie outfits aren't paying more direct homage to Robert Smiff and company. Then, I very legally downloaded the entire Cure discography. After that, I stumbled upon Minks, and their Funeral Song 7", and all had come full circle. Ahhhh.

The a-side, obviously titled "Funeral Song," sounds like a group of kids from Brooklyn broke in The Cure's recording studio and threw together their own jangly goth pop using borrow sounds and equipment. It's good, even if the chorus goes a little something like, "So long summertime / I'm not coming back." Then again, pairing bummer lyrics with uptempo music is exactly what their influence would want.

Right-Click + Save Link As:

Funeral Song - Minks

No comments: