Monday, March 7, 2011

Learn From My Mistake, Don't Sleep on The Weeknd...


When I saw The Weeknd's "What You Need" get BNM'd on Pitchfork on Friday, I wrote it off -- Pitchfork rarely demands immediate listening and "The Playlist" is full of songs I already have or get around to snapping up later.

Well, turns out I'm an idiot. I know absolutely nothing about the project (though I love that P4K's Larry Fitzmaurice admits the same... #journalism?), but The Weeknd are not to be slept on. The collective have only released four tracks so far, but in those 16 minutes, they've demonstrated prowess in post-dubstep production, traditional sampling (of Beach House, natch) and the kind of R&B being repurposed by The-Dream and Drake.

But while The-Dream's making bangers for Kim Kardashian (?), these guys are putting out efforts that rival their contemporaries in style, substance, and sex appeal. Damn.

"He's what you want / He's what you want / He's what you want / I'm what you need"

Right-Click + Save Link As:

The Weeknd - What You Need

The Weeknd - Loft Music

The Weeknd - Wicked Games

No comments: