Wednesday, December 7, 2011

MP3: Azealia Banks - "212"



When I first saw Azealia Banks, I'd written her off as a copy of a copy, Dominique Young Unique by way of Amanda Blank and Kid Sister. Like Unique, Banks is under 21 and armed with a hyper-kinetic, sexualized flow, but the similarities end there and I've been eating crow for not taking notice sooner.

Having attended New York's lauded LaGuardia High School (notable alums: Nicki Minaj, Kelis and Paul Stanley), Banks is more than a rapper--add "slash singer, slash actress" to her résumé--proudly displaying talent and range on "212." Accents, singing and smut come together in three and a half minutes of basement pop. Most importantly, it straight slays. Sure, the track is a few months old, but it's still a pitch-perfect coming out party. Weaving all of Banks' artistic proclivities results in a spastic anthem that would make Diplo proud.

Right-Click + Save Link As:

Azealia Banks - 212

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

man I love your blog... welcome back

Unknown said...

Thanks! I'll do my best to be consistently posting; having a job cuts into my music listening/blog time far too much...

Anonymous said...

Hey man, Diplo already is proud. He produced her first single ever released "Seventeen"