Thursday, January 14, 2010

The Besnard Lakes Hunt an Albatross


Way back in 2007, Quebec's The Besnard Lakes released their second LP, The Besnard Lakes Are the Dark Horse. At the time of its release, I was completely unaware of the Canadian indie export. That is, until a friend sent it to me sometime in early '08. It was still the heart of winter in Michigan when I first played the record through my desktop speakers, but the condensation on my window and the snow outside made for the perfect background to that patient, orchestral, yet lonely album.

The band's sound strikes this balance between an overpowering and a delicacy, molding together shoegaze with string quartets. I'm happy to report that "Albatross," the first single off their upcoming album, contains all of those aforementioned qualities -- It's a sweeping shoegaze epic that manages to sound intimate. Pour a cup of tea and listen.

The Besnard Lakes Are the Roaring Night is the forthcoming LP's title and it's due out March 9th on Jagjaguwar.

Right-Click + Save Link As:

Albatross - The Besnard Lakes

From The Besnard Lakes Are the Dark Horse

Disaster - The Besnard Lakes

Devastation - The Besnard Lakes

No comments: