Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Jay Reatard, Dead at 29


I was extremely saddened to hear that Jay Reatard, the prolific Memphis garage rocker, was announced dead today. According to reports, he was found in his home at 3:30 AM this morning. Cause of death has yet to be determined and most of the details are still pretty unknown. (via P4k)

It's a sad day for DIY punk rock and a sad day for the music world in general. Reatard was a constantly recording musician, so I'm sure his record label, Matador, will compile some sort of posthumous release.

Ever since I got my hands on 2006's Blood Visions a couple of summers ago, I've been a big fan of Reatard's lo-fi brand of rock. The man had an ear for melody and distortion and I consider the ending to "Waiting for Something" to be a stellar example of garage punk done right.

R.I.P.

Right-Click + Save Link As:

See Saw - Jay Reatard

Blood Visions - Jay Reatard

Hammer, I Miss You - Jay Reatard

Wounded - Jay Reatard

Waiting for Something - Jay Reatard

You Were Sleeping - Jay Reatard

No comments: