Sunday, June 20, 2010

It's Father's Day - A Few Songs for Dad


When I was in the seventh grade, I had no idea what good music was. My CD collection consisted of Green Day's Insomniac, Weird Al's Bad Hair Day, and Savage Garden's self-titled debut. I was obsessed with MTV's TRL and whatever music they were peddling -- I can distinctly remember begging my mom for an unedited copy of Limp Bizkit's Significant Other -- and I couldn't even comprehend how to use Napster.

I eventually grew up and my tastes thankfully changed, but one of my most formational music moments happened during that school year. Two words: "Black Dog."

I remember getting picked up from basketball practice in my dad's black GMC Yukon. We were driving and some Zeppelin song was playing on 94.7 WCSX, Detroit's Classic Rock Station. Now, for years my dad had been quizzing me on "classic" rock music -- who was playing on the radio or what the name of the song was -- and I would consistently not know the answer. Apparently though, that night was the last straw.

"You've never heard "Black Dog"? You've never heard of Led Zeppelin?!"

I remember him veering off of Haggerty Rd., pulling into a conveniently close Best Buy. I remember hurrying inside and wading through the CD isles until we found the L's. I remember him flipping through that band's catalogue until he found a copy of Early Days: Best of Led Zeppelin Volume One. I remember him struggling to open the disc's heavily sticker'd jewel case. I'll never forget him cuing the album to track nine and saying, "Son, this is 'Black Dog.' Led Zeppelin. Never forget."

Today, I'm honoring pops by posting "Black Dog" and a few other foundational tracks. Here's to you Dad, I never forgot.

Right-Click + Save Link As:

Black Dog - Led Zeppelin

Detroit Rock City - Kiss

Old Time Rock & Roll - Bob Seger

Father and Son - Cat Stevens

1 comment:

The Legendary Boombox G said...

my Dad got me into Zeppelin too. this was back in the late 80's when i was 13. Im a musician and he claims i get none of my musical talent from him, but i beg to differ.