Saturday, June 19, 2010

New Blonde Redhead, "Here Sometimes"


Whoa, Blonde Redhead have been together since 1993. In indie-rock years, that makes them ancient (indie-rock years function like dog years, duh). Despite totally being old enough to be my parents*, the shoegaze-y trio have delivered the goods with each new release and their forthcoming yet-to-be-titled LP will probably be no exception.

I first heard of the gang something like four years ago. I was on vacation, snowboarding in Colorado, when I met some high school senior. She must've been impressed by the Minor Threat and Pixies stickers on my board, because we struck up a musical conversation on the tram. Being a few years older and in college, she was obviously outgunned ("Wait, you've never heard of Sufjan Stevens?!?"), but she was able to enter at least one new band into my music lexicon: Blonde Redhead. I bumped into her again back at the hotel and before we parted ways, she slipped me her burned copy of Misery Is a Butterfly. Cool girl. I don't remember her name.

Anyways, here's their latest single, "Here Sometimes." It's a little more electronic and trip-hoppy than the band's usual efforts, but a solid listen. It's also an excuse to to post a few standout tracks from the band's 17-year-long catalog...

* Pretty sure that's not not accurate.

Right-Click + Save Link As:

Here Sometimes - Blonde Redhead

Violent Life - Blonde Redhead

23 - Blonde Redhead

Equus - Blonde Redhead

No comments: